Friday, March 9, 2012

Two shirts, two bags and off to the wedding......


Last Friday was not a day to work on creative projects but rather to savour the ones completed in time to travel to my sisters wedding which was held on Saturday.
Originally these two shirts were planned for the boys to wear for Christmas but they didn't quite happen in time.
They were ready to be won on Saturday but in the end only Little Pickle wore his as the unremitting rain that day meant it was too cold for Big Pickle to wear his much lighter weight shirt....and....its possibly a bit wide......or big.....and the collar is troubling me...


I really enjoyed sewing these shirts. It was my third project from the brilliant Sewing For Boys book. Its their Henry Shirt. About two thirds of the way through the first shirt I paused for a breath from the intense concentration that the quite complex pattern required and was somehow heartened to discover that the pattern was classified as Advanced. The quick unpick was put to use a couple of times but there are very few projects in my sewing world that don't require this.


The fabrics were purchased a few months ago here. The leaf fabric is from this range and the green is a shot cotton from a Kaffe Fassett range. I have used these cottons for several other things and I can't recommend them more highly, beautiful to sew with, hard wearing and the range of colours and tones is breathtaking.
Little Pickles shirt featured a fabric from a Michael Miller range called Children at Play.
I'll try to get some photos of the boys wearing the shirts to post another time.


 With everything ready and still time left before the wedding I decided the bride and I, her bridesmaid needed a little bag each. I immediately thought of the pouch style Japanese knot bags I have long admired and after some searching on the internet and studying various images I drafted a bit of a pattern and had a go.
I made my sisters first and put wadding inside hers. Whilst this was nice in the body of the bag it made the straps too bulky.



Due to camera batteries that ran out as our hair was being done, this is the only photo I have of the day so far but I will post more when I can.
In this photo you can see the beautiful silk flower I wore in my hair which was made by this clever lady. The ivory one my sister wore was even more amazing.


You can find more creative fun over at Linda's Creative Friday.

1 comment: